What is PayPass?
MasterCard PayPass is a "contactless" way to pay. It's like having exact change wherever you go.
A simple tap of your card, key fob, or mobile phone is all it takes to pay at the checkout*.
How does it work?
It's simple. All you have to do is follow these steps at the checkout:
1. Look for the MasterCard PayPass logo.
2. Hold your MasterCard Paypass card/device in your hand
3. Move your PayPass card/device to the Paypass reader
4. Listen for a beep and look for the green lights indicating payment was accepted.
5. If your purchase is under R200, that's it, you're on your way. No need to sign or enter a PIN.*
Where can I use PayPass?
Anywhere you see the MasterCard PayPass or MasterCard Cash logo. This includes quick-service restaurants,
gas stations, convenience stores, pharmacies, movie theatres, and more. If you don't see the logo, your
PayPass card can still be used by swiping or dipping the card at the checkout instead of tapping.
Is PayPass Safe?
With secure encryption technology and Zero Liability^ protection, MasterCard PayPass is as safe as your regular card.
- You are in control - your PayPass enabled payment mechanism never leaves your hands to make a payment.
- No accidental payments - your PayPass enabled payment mechanism must be extremely close to the reader at checkout to work.
- Not billed twice - even if you tap more than once, you'll only get billed once for your purchase.
Do I already have Paypass?
Your card may already be enabled. Just look for the MasterCard Paypass logo on the front or back of your card and you're ready to go.
How can I get it?
To apply for a MasterCard Paypass card, contact your bank or any one of the financial institutions (card issuers) listed on our website.
Check back often as new card issuers are added regularly.
* Signature is not required for purchases R200 or below at participating locations. PIN may be required for debit transactions.
^Conditions and exceptions apply.