What is MasterCard Contactless?
MasterCard with contactless functionality is the way to pay. It’s like having exact change wherever you go. A simple tap of your card is all it takes to pay at the till point*.
How does it work?
It's simple. All you have to do is follow these steps at the till point:
- Look for the MasterCard Contactless logo.
- Hold your MasterCard Contactless card in your hand.
- Move your contactless card to the contactless reader.
- Listen for a beep and look for the green lights indicating payment was accepted.
- If your purchase is under R200, that’s it, you’re on your way. No need to sign or enter a PIN. *
Where can I use MasterCard Contactless?
Anywhere you see the MasterCard Contactless or MasterCard Cash logo. This includes quick-service restaurants, convenience stores, movie theatres, and more. If you don’t see the contactless logo, your contactless card can still be used by swiping or dipping the card at the till point instead of tapping.
Is MasterCard Contactless safe?
With secure encryption technology, MasterCard Contactless is as safe as your regular card.
- You are in control – your contactless enabled payment mechanism never leaves your hands to make a payment.
- No accidental payments – your contactless enabled payment mechanism must be extremely close to the reader at checkout to work.
- Not billed twice – even if you tap more than once, you'll only get billed once for your purchase.
Do I already have contactless functionality?
Your MasterCard card may already be enabled. Just look for the MasterCard Contactless logo on the front or back of your card and you’re ready to go.
How can I get it?
To apply for a MasterCard Contactless card, contact your bank or any one of the financial institutions (card issuers) listed on our website.
* Signature is not required for purchases R200 or below at participating locations. PIN may be required for debit transactions.
* receipts are available on request
† there may be some instances when you are asked to enter your PIN number for security reasons or for purchases above a certain amount.