What is MasterCard SecureCode?
How does MasterCard SecureCode work?
What steps do I need to take to support MasterCard SecureCode?
How do I benefit from using MasterCard SecureCode on my website?
Is MasterCard SecureCode easy for online shoppers to use?
Does MasterCard SecureCode also support Maestro cards?
How do I find a certified MasterCard SecureCode vendor?
Once I implement MasterCard SecureCode, how do I test my site? Am I required to display the MasterCard SecureCode programme mark (logo) on my site? How do I download the MasterCard SecureCode mark? As a participating merchant, will I be listed on the MasterCard SecureCode consumer website?
Q: What is MasterCard SecureCode?
A: MasterCard SecureCode is a programme designed to provide online retailers with the added security of having issuing banks authenticate their individual cardholders and qualify their online transactions for protection against "cardholder unauthorised" or "cardholder not recognised" chargebacks.
Q: How does MasterCard SecureCode work?
A: When a cardholder submits their online order at a participating merchant, the MasterCard SecureCode solution performs the following to ensure that the cardholder is authorised to make this transaction:
- It initiates a pop-up window from the card issuer prompting the cardholder to enter their unique personal code.
- The issuer validates the personal code and approves the transaction.
Q: What steps do I need to take to support MasterCard SecureCode?
A: Programming to support MasterCard SecureCode may already be available through your acquirer. As an online retailer, all you need to do is:
- Contact your acquirer to confirm that they support the MasterCard SecureCode programme. If they do not, please e-mail us.
- Install a MasterCard SecureCode compliant "plug-in" application on your site.
- Test your site with MasterCard to ensure that SecureCode is working properly.
- Display the MasterCard SecureCode mark to let your customers know that you are working to secure internet shopping.
- Transmit transaction authentication values to the card issuer via your normal authorisation process using the Universal Cardholder Authentication Field (UCAF).
Q: How do I benefit from using MasterCard SecureCode on my website?
- Protection from "cardholder unauthorised" chargebacks for fully compliant transactions. Such protection is designed to reduce your chargeback exposure and processing expenses.
- Consumer confidence increases, making customers more likely to make a purchase on your website.
- You expand the geographic reach of your business by selling to customers in countries where online debit cards are used more widely than credit cards. In addition to added protection against chargebacks for these customers, you will be able to process their Maestro® debit transactions.
- You can attract new customers by advertising for free on the MasterCard consumer website. Want to see how listings appear? View the merchant advertising page on the MasterCard consumer website.
Q: Is MasterCard SecureCode easy for online shoppers to use?
A: Yes. Cardholders simply enter their private MasterCard SecureCode in a pop-up window provided by their card issuer on their PC before their online transaction can be completed. The card issuer is responsible for validating and safekeeping this code.
Q: Does MasterCard SecureCode also support Maestro cards?
A: Yes. MasterCard SecureCode provides a new way for issuers to support Maestro debit transactions over the internet. This allows more cross-border transactions with merchants in countries where debit is more established than credit.
Q: Once I implement MasterCard SecureCode, how do I test my site?
A: Contact your transaction provider when you are ready to test your site.
Q: Am I required to display the MasterCard SecureCode programme mark (logo) on my site?
A: Yes. Once you have successfully completed testing, MasterCard will provide you with the MasterCard SecureCode mark to display on your website in accordance with MasterCard guidelines. This lets customers know you are doing your part to make their transactions safer.
Q: How do I download the MasterCard SecureCode mark?
A: Once you have completed compliance testing, MasterCard will provide you with a MasterCard SecureCode programme identifier.